Sign in to follow this  
Noil

Server Traffic

Hey ho,

Actually I'm browsing around looking for good CDN offers, but I see they are settled on per traffic prices

for example you pay 0,119 USD for every GB your server produces in traffic.

So correct me if my perception is completly wrong in those pricing models ^_^ .

So there comes up a question, that I've got no to none experience of.

How much traffic does a herc based server produce if you are running the full server setup meaning the emulator itself+website including client downloads ( maybe put them on some file sharing providers would makes sense no? :D ) .. Well it depends on how many persons will play on the server,

but maybe we can get an average per person traffic or we are taking an average populated example. Be creativ! :rolleyes:

Mind sharing your experience?

Thanks in advance

Yours

Noil

Edited by Noil

@@Noil

I think if you don't have a really big server with 20000+ international requests per day and active userbase to go with it, a CDN isn't really worth it since the savings mostly come from splitting the traffic and less because the locations are nearer to your user, except when you want to deliver content to Asia for example.

Also i am not even sure if it has use for other things besides websites if your server wasn't reprogrammed to support to have itself spread over multiple servers that work with one database.

It is probably overkill and for the traffic i think it won't be that much depending on how load heavy your website is and how big and frequent your patches are and how you distribute your client. 

If you really want to go for a CDN you should check yourself how much traffic your server generates before deciding. Since it is such a relative thing from server to server that depends on many factors.

@@Winterfox

CDN doesn't mean that I have to have an active userbase of 20.000+ user requests there are little solutions out there too.

I just came up with this, because of my own experience of playing on servers that are more likely bound on one location.

For example I am from germany and played on a server hosted in swiss. I had no lag and best conditions ever, but people on this server

coming from the philippines had really delayed gaming experience due to motion lags of it's finest.

And there are a lot philippine players, malaysians, germans and some might come from asia too at least I know there are some.

So some server owner might care about providing good latency over long distances. Maybe you have some other ideas beside CDNs.

Maybe your own load balancer for herc but I think there are good networks out there already.

@@Noil

It is still overkill for a default server of 200-1k of users, especially since there are tons of asian servers.

And a load balancer won't help you when the servers are all in one location.

The best bet to sorta go about this is get a server hoster that has a server centralized in a location that provides enough for a variety of people from different locations.

@@Mysterious

But why not take CDN, that you only pay for your traffic used?

When this is clearly the better option than hoping for a good connection for everyone.

Also CDN has other advantages too.

Greetings

Edited by Noil

...even the big names like iRO, or other games like World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI or XIV or EVE Online don't rely on a CDN to host game servers.

CDN's are best used for static content. Not only that, will Hercules even run on a CDN? I'm pretty sure the official server software Aegis doesn't, therefore any emulated would probably do poorly or not work at all.

You would have to mirror your MySQL data at least three times, once for the master and at least two slaves, increasing the chances of data transfer failure.

If you have a server go down the load would switch to the other two servers which is the point of a CDN (kind of) but then to resume the downed server you would have to take the CDN down to refresh the data on the server that was down before you could put the entire thing back up again.

Just not worth it. Get a centrally located server for your anticipated largest audience's location and run with it.

Honestly even if you have a big community, your traffic wont reach even in 5tb a month :) based on my experience when i had around 2k players in my server before

cdn are only good for streaming site and not in hosting a site and game server..

Oh okay thanks so it is more likle effected from the servers hardware spec, that the other lagged than the connection towards it right?