Helena

Two monster bugs. Which codes are responsible for this?

Question

Hi hercules,

My server was previously eathena server but we translateded it to hercules, sadly there are some real strange bugs now.

I refrain from posting this in the bug tracker/github because I'm 100% sure it is due to the ea>herc translation. (i used to have a clean copy of hercules before and back then these bugs didnt happen). Therefore i feel these are not emulator bugs, but I'd like to find out which part of the code is causing it.

Bug #1: Monster sprites sometimes don't disappear upon dying.

Sometimes, just every now and then, monsters don't fade out when they've died. I found a part in clif.c thats suppose to control it, but that part is exactly the same as I have in my version of herc. Is there something else I need to look at?

Bug #2: Monsters get stuck in a cell.
When I attack a bunch of monsters and they chase me, they stop half-a-way and get stuck in one the same cell. They cluster up and keep going back to it, even if I hit them again, they won't leave the cell. I've looked into mob.c but without result.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please? (Also, starting from scratch is not an option). :(

10 answers to this question

Hi hercules,

My server was previously eathena server but we translateded it to hercules, sadly there are some real strange bugs now.

I refrain from posting this in the bug tracker/github because I'm 100% sure it is due to the ea>herc translation. (i used to have a clean copy of hercules before and back then these bugs didnt happen). Therefore i feel these are not emulator bugs, but I'd like to find out which part of the code is causing it.

Sometimes, just every now and then, monsters don't fade out when they've died. I found a part in clif.c thats suppose to control it, but that part is exactly the same as I have in my version of herc. Is there something else I need to look at?

When I attack a bunch of monsters and they chase me, they stop half-a-way and get stuck in one the same cell. They cluster up and keep going back to it, even if I hit them again, they won't leave the cell. I've looked into mob.c but without result.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please? (Also, starting from scratch is not an option). :(

The first is a issue of new emulators:

The sprite won't disappear, the monster stay in stand animation with 0% HP, refreshing the client (@refresh) his just disappear.

The second I never see before, mybe because of transition from hercules as well.

Hi hercules,

The sprite won't disappear, the monster stay in stand animation with 0% HP, refreshing the client (@refresh) his just disappear.

The second I never see before, mybe because of transition from hercules as well.

Wait really? how often does the first issue occur to you? for me like once every 30 killed monsters.  :(

Hi hercules,

Wait really? how often does the first issue occur to you? for me like once every 30 killed monsters.  :(

With me is more "rare", depends of how much information the server need to process at same time (example: during the endless tower, the players kill mobs spamming skills and etc, some few monster don't disapear when dies)

Edited by fxfreitas

Hi hercules,

With me is more "rare", depends of how much information the server need to process at same time (example: during the endless tower, the players kill mobs spamming skills and etc, some few monster don't disapear when dies)

Not really.

Hercules is single threaded, we would have guarantee that each thing in the source is executed...

The problem might lie in migration where some custom code is restricting some function to call mob->dead or something like that.

When I got the first problem I found out that everytime it happens an error about the Event Queue being full was showing up on the console. To fix it I used to increase #define MAX_EVENTQUEUE 2  to a higher value. This seems to happen when you kill too many monsters that triggers a label (gets worse if you have OnNPCKillEvent)

About the second one I've never seen, but I used to notice that when I was mobbing sometimes monsters just stopped from following me (with an emoticon).

Hope it helps

When I got the first problem I found out that everytime it happens an error about the Event Queue being full was showing up on the console. To fix it I used to increase #define MAX_EVENTQUEUE 2  to a higher value. This seems to happen when you kill too many monsters that triggers a label (gets worse if you have OnNPCKillEvent)

About the second one I've never seen, but I used to notice that when I was mobbing sometimes monsters just stopped from following me (with an emoticon).

Hope it helps

Thanks! Sadly, this isn't only the case with OnNPCKillEvent triggers, it also happens in normal maps with high spawn rates. Would increasing that value have any point for me then?

@@Helena If the error message about event queue is being shown on you console, then probably yes. I believe it happens with any monster that trigger labels. cause there'll be too many events to be triggered at once

@@Helena If the error message about event queue is being shown on you console, then probably yes. I believe it happens with any monster that trigger labels. cause there'll be too many events to be triggered at once

Thank you! I'll try that! :)

If I may ask, to what number did you raise it? I'd like to know what would be a good number to use and get rid of the sprites without making any risking changes.

@@Helena The monster getting stuck bug isn't a big deal at all. An @refresh will fix it as someone stated earlier.

The second bug, however, is a big deal. I hope that you find a solution. I've never heard of something. In the mean time I recommend reverting to a backup until you fix your bugs.