So I just made it for my server. Right now I've just implemented it for @reloadscript, but the idea to to work with all possible reloads.

Whenever you @reloadscript it announces to everyone if the reload was successful (it's really personal whether you want it to be broadcast, local, or self, etc.) or if it wasn't.

It does not tell you the specific error in-game, but it just tells you if there was any error so you go to the console and check it up yourself.

When could this be useful?

Well I tend to make edits pretty often without checking the console, sometimes players tell me there's a bug, whether it's big or not, as I said I personally tend to make edits without testing, mostly when it's small thing, when you got experience you don't normally make mistakes in small scripts and stuff, but sometimes, people tend to miss things for x reasons so when you @reloadscript, it will tell you if it was successful or not.

Allowing you to, re-check the script or go ahead to the console and check what was the mistake. Specially when it's a live server, having to open the virtual machine to check it's somehow annoying.

It's just an idea, I find it useful (in my case) but it's really up to you guys.

Image right below

Don't put attention to the lightgreen box there, it was just something I added to check how the variable was doing.

reloadnpc.png

how about something like in-game error display ? xD

display the map-server error in the chatbox of the GM who used @reloadscript / @loadnpc / etc ....

most of the time..server who host under linux ..the admin can only view the error through the putty ..

but then they closed it...they cant open the putty just to view the error anymore...they have to restart the server so that they can view the map console again ..

i heard there was 1 trick used in putty ..something called "screen" ? dunno .. i never success to use it ... newbie in these stuff ..

so i was wondering is it possible to add a "in-game display error for the GM who used @reloadscript / @loadnpc ?

if this is accepted...perhap can add a config which allow the admin to turn ON/OFF for this features ?

I was thinking the same, it would be a lot more useful but, what if you got many error, the chat display only allows X lines, if you have many error, it wouldn't display all of 'em, unless a npc messagebox pops up, allowing you to 'next' every x lines.

perhap just indicate which line got error is enough ...dont have to show the part that error ....

just display which file ....which line ..

even in map server...when you have toooooo many errors...althought it show all...but sometime you unable to view all due to the limit of line that can show in the console...

but usually @reloadscript / @loadnpc will return lesser error ...why ? because i believe they should have fixed most of it before they try run the server ... = )

I think something like that could be added and it'd be quite useful.

In addition, maybe it'd be good a conf for unloading NPCs with errors so that they won't even appear to users and you won't have to unload/kick them agian, which is quite cumbersome.

P.S.: @Emistry, if you want some help on using screen, I could help you for basic usage on it.

@jaBote

D: can you copy/paste that to me? I was having a bad time with this console thing when i closed putty

Btw, would'nt be better adding the logs that was before in the /logs folder? I mean, i think i seen that folder and it used to log map-server.log, char-server.log and login-server.log when i get an error and it possibly crashed the server but before recorded something in the log.. That's very cool actually because helps you track crashes maybe

Btw, would'nt be better adding the logs that was before in the /logs folder? I mean, i think i seen that folder and it used to log map-server.log, char-server.log and login-server.log when i get an error and it possibly crashed the server but before recorded something in the log.. That's very cool actually because helps you track crashes maybe

The point was not having to go over the virtual machine in order to look up for an error.

Might be better to make the message show up on groups with id > X (Dont think you really want the entire server to know something broke)

The NPC Dialogue showing each error is a pretty good idea, however when making small changes, its unlikely you'll get dozens of errors.

However if anything it might be better to change the error output into something like 

File @ line: error message (Avoid showing a block of text, since it doesnt really help for the most) and keep the error showing in the Group's log

Might be better to make the message show up on groups with id > X (Dont think you really want the entire server to know something broke)

another new permission xD

Yeah, another permision then.. How about something like error per line, like.. A dispbottom per error(?

Unfeature.

The way I see this done:

Create a atcommand to "attach" yourself or another character to console output, so that everything that goes to console is additionaly sent to that player's chatbox. Simple, effective and not limited to any particular action like reloading scripts.

Possible improvement could involve desired log level, so that for example only Error or Warning messages are being shown in chat.

KISS: if you want to see errors in console without checking console, make them appear in-game.

Edited by Gepard

Unfeature.

The way I see this done:

Create a atcommand to "attach" yourself or another character to console output, so that everything that goes to console is additionaly sent to that player's chatbox. Simple, effective and not limited to any particular action like reloading scripts.

Possible improvement could involve desired log level, so that for example only Error or Warning messages are being shown in chat.

KISS: if you want to see errors in console without checking console, make them appear in-game.

that is pretty neat