Petey Pablo

root privileges problem

Question

How to enable or run as root? Thank you hercules staff!
[Fatal Error]: You are running Hercules with root privileges, it is not necessary, nor recommended. Aborting.

6 answers to this question

After uncomment I got core warning and still not working

core.c: In function ‘usercheck’:
core.c:220:2: warning: #warning This Hercules build is not eligible to obtain support by the developers. [-Wcpp]
 #warning This Hercules build is not eligible to obtain support by the developers.
  ^
core.c:221:2: warning: #warning The setting I_AM_AWARE_OF_THE_RISK_AND_STILL_WANT_TO_RUN_HERCULES_AS_ROOT is deprecated and should not be used. [-Wcpp]
 #warning The setting I_AM_AWARE_OF_THE_RISK_AND_STILL_WANT_TO_RUN_HERCULES_AS_ROOT is deprecated and should not be used.

Edited by Will Su

Yup, must easier for everything, more safety. And you can't break your server. If you don't know how to do, check my guide at B.6 but don't read after step C. From Step D it follows the old conf system so no need to do it, it won't work.

Edited by Monsieur Panda

It was never recommended to run as root. However, we have recently changed source to disallow running it as root, instead of just giving a warning message.

Creating a user in linux is not so hard, but merely few commands, which you can find in guide from previous post.