Sign in to follow this  
PunkBuster

Hercules vs rAthena: Current differences

I am the admin of a very old RO server, still running on eAthena. I want to port us from eAthena to a a modern emulation, but first I'd like to choose which one. I've found many old topics regarding Hercules x rAthena differences, but they all seem to be from about 3 years ago or so. I'd like to know the current differences between both.

I'm not so pro . but i find is Hercules more efficient than rathena. (Speaking the RAM usage), also hercules is faster to load than rathena.
The one thing why i switch to hercules from rathena is the plugin system. :D

-> both has advantages and disadvantages.
but my advice is go for herc ofc. :D

Edited by Ranz

I assume you want to go for pre-re. I think both emulators have some issues with pre re so I don't see much of a difference here (but I'm honestly no pre renewal player and don't know the exact differences) . Else content wise for renewal rA is ahead.

As stated here, Herc works a lot more efficient and is cleaner. But it's biggest advantage is of course the plugin feature which basically works like an import folder for source code.

The mana world is running Hercules with a plugin on steroids, so you can see with plugins you basically can build a whole new game around the emulator.

https://www.themanaworld.org

Hercules has the most fluid source and works best with machine features and is more
stable, but it is totally outdated, rathena is much more up-to-date, and
supports new systems.
It depends on the type of project you are working on.

It depends on the type of server you want!

pre-renewal - I recommend Hercules "We have the plugins to help and make your life easier!"

renewal - I recommend rAthena "Is much more up to date"

Now you have two types of community:

Hercules Vs rAthena

I prefer Hercules, they are much more active and helpful

rAthena's leave you in the vacuum for months.... (Nobody answers you in the forum)

However most active members use both forums, so you can find people working on both of them like me xP

I recommend you create two servers offline with hercules and another with rathena and test them, and see which best serves you!

My partners and I decided to go with Hercules after all, since we're running pre-renewal. Thanks for the input.

This seems like a very common question for people though, might be good idea to keep a permanent topic listing the differences.

Hercules: better stability, perfomance, and customization.

rAthena: closer to the official, more updated.

I'd say those are the main things.

This will change to -

Hercules: better stability, performance, customisation, closer to official, more updated.

Edited by Smoke