Sign in to follow this  
Klutz

Protect grfs

Question

Hey,

I was wondering what should i do to protect my grf so people can't edits files (grf encryption still let you overwrite files)

Is there any other grf protection?

Regards,

Klutz

1 answer to this question

No real way to prevent editing of GRFs, you can only hinder the stupid portion of people doing that.

• Either you modify (read "corrupt") the GRF format in a way, that makes common programs fail, and adjust your patcher and client to be able to deal with that.
  • Or you make up your own format and make a patcher for it and add support to the client for it.
  • Or make an edit to the client, that checks the checksums of all files in the grf, when the client is started to make sure the grf is not changed. This takes a few minutes to complete and will get old very quickly (to the players that is).

Choose your poison.

Edit:

I got an idea for one theoretical way, that could prevent others from making changes to the GRF, but still allow you to provide patches to it (granted the patcher does not touch the data, but just adds the files as-is, like RO Patcher Lite). This is just a theory, so I will have to make a proof of concept before making further claims~

Edit:

Too easy to workaround for the effort needed.

Edited by Ai4rei