jTynne

Setting up a proxy server in Europe/Asia to reduce latency for US-based RO server.

Question

Hi!

I've had several friends with large-scale servers tell me that they make usage of a second server hosted in the UK they use to pipe traffic through for a lower latency for their overseas community, as their main "host" server is located in the US. I'd heard many years ago of others doing such a thing as well, but I don't know where to begin with this at all.

Any assistance or guiddance in the right direction would be absolutely fantastic, as I feel this is a way those of us with large international playerbases can truly help reduce latency for them, when we host our servers in the Americas.

Thanks in advance!

4 answers to this question

This sounds amazing, I just wonder why big name games like world of warcraft, still have separate servers for Europe/Asia/America instead one big server. I will ask around for you on this matter

I believe this was setup in eamod.

I just do not know exactly how it works; though this sounds helpful on big-scale servers.

im not sure how adding another hop to the connection will make it quicker.
or probably even forcing the connection to take a longer route to the server via UK (we have bad internet)(NL would be better)

you have to remember the internet works on hops between 2 places, its not a direct connection, and adding extra destinations could make it worse

of course i could be wrong