Haru

Item DB file structure overhaul

its alive ... its alive... and i can already see many people dying and cribbing. :D

Edited by Neo

I don't like it. :(
1. Now I always have to know the default values of the fields which aren't stated

2. My converter is useless now, which In just finished last weekend. -.-

1. Now I always have to know the default values of the fields which aren't stated

off topic question: what converter? Only issue i see is that you would need to fix the file parsing part - im not saying its easy but it doesn't look too difficult :)

Dito, but they did promise us a converter~ so let's see bout that

im not saying its easy but it doesn't look too difficult

It isn't difficult but a load of work, which isn't necessary.

I don't think there will be a converter which is compatible with my private projects. :(

What actually concerns me most is: Did you think of all the tools in use? Every single tool which reads the item DB must be rewritten because of this update.

Furthermore RegEx replacements are nearly impossible now, too.

I wish this would have been discussed before implementing, but now it's too late. :S

My suggestion to please everyone: Provide a converter which is capable of converting the new format into the old format.

im not saying its easy but it doesn't look too difficult

It isn't difficult but a load of work, which isn't necessary.

I don't think there will be a converter which is compatible with my private projects. :(

What actually concerns me most is: Did you think of all the tools in use? Every single tool which reads the item DB must be rewritten because of this update.

Furthermore RegEx replacements are nearly impossible now, too.

I wish this would have been discussed before implementing, but now it's too late. :S

My suggestion to please everyone: Provide a converter which is capable of converting the new format into the old format.

In my honest opinion, if you are using your item db for various other things other than just your in-game items, you really should be utilizing sql instead. The point of item_db.txt originally was just to support the txt db version of athena. At this point, since Hercules doesn't support txt db it would make sense to just start using full sql. Though I get why some would wanna keep using the txt version as it's more convenient. This adds readability to the db, which has been sorely needed for years. Can't tell you the countless times I've had to 'Page Up' to the top part to remember what row / comma section I was in...

it would make sense to just start using full sql

I suggested this many times. Noone wants it. And as long as there are just a few files available in SQL my tools will use the TXT version, simply because I don't want to implement a logic for SQL an another one for TXT.

Can't tell you the countless times I've had to 'Page Up' to the top part to remember what row / comma section I was in...

Well, now you have to search another item if the item you are editing inherits another item just to see the values. And perhaps this item inherits anotherone and you now have to search this now. Furthermore you don't see all the values with one view...  I my opinion this new format is pretty confusing.

Well this format is good because the developers are following like aegis files, this format is looks like same as special.sc in aegis, this format is more user friendly to beginners than the old one.