Clare

Some questions about browedit

Question

Hi I have three questions: 

1 - how do I recolor my models using the rsm editor without changing the color of the original models? Is this possible? 

2 - How do I update my list of effects in browedit? 

3 - how do I change the size of effects in browedit? Always wondered how it's done, but i use the 'global edit' for copy effects of gravity maps.

Thanks to anyone who can answer

4 answers to this question

• 1 - Yes it is possible to recolor models, just once you apply the new textures to it, save it with a different rsm file name and make your browedit load that rsm as a custom model file by editing the "randommodels.txt" file. (please ask if you need further explanation here)
  • 2 - Editing the data/effects.txt file and just adding the new entries there
  • 3 - Its not possible to change a size of an effect yet.

Thanks Olrox, if it is not asking too much, could you tell me how to use the rsm editor? Like never used it I have no idea how it works.

And one more question, when I copy a map for another larger map using the "global edit", the gats are not copied correctly, you know some way to copy them properly?

Edited by Clare

To recolor a model, you need your RSM model extracted from your data.grf already and converted in ASCII *(using unbollox).

About the RSM editor in browedit should be like:

454511444.jpg

1 - Click Open and locate the RSM model you already extracted.

2 - the textures of that model should appear at the right panel. This panel shows also the original texture names/path this RSM model uses. Choose one of the textures you would like to change and the texture window should appear.

3 - locate your custom texture (previously  added in texturecustom.txt in the browedit data) and open it.

4 - You'll see your model recolored with your custom texture, then, just click on "save as" and save it as a new RSM file.

5 - You'll need to add this model as a new model in browedit, by editing the file: data/randommodels.txt

Edit:

Regarding the global height edit, yes that is a common issue. Its possible to copy gats by using the copy function (hotkey C) however, if you use a big brush the gats don't copy. If I remember well, its possible to open two maps in browedit and use this copy function in two maps.

So one way could be like: open your original map with the good gats as a backup and the global height copied too. Then switch to gat edit mode and by using a small-medium brush size, use the copy hotkey and switch to the other map by using the TAB key. then try to paste. I don't know if that will work though.

Olrox Thanks, as always your explanations are great and useful, perfectly understand about rsm editor :D
The question of gats, I do whenever need exactly as told, but as I am through lazy, looking for a way to save time and copy all at once.
Thank you very much.