Sign in to follow this  
ThyroDree

Adding Host to my Server [ Newbie/ I don't know about Hosting ]

Question

anyone help me, is the unmanaged VPS can run a Ragnarok Private Server? do i need to configure first please anyone teach me or do i really need to buy a RO Hosting? because i see that unmanaged VPS i low cost than RO Hosting.

Help me expand my knowledge on Hosting/Host/VPS

what is  OpenVZ/SVZ , KVM/SKVM ,KVM/CKVM-E5

what is Unmanaged VPS and Managed VPS

Example: I bought a Managed VPS or Unmanaged VPS from blahblahblah then

what will i do to run the RO Private Server to be Online

8 answers to this question

if you dont got any experiance with RO hosting or Linux ,  you rly should think about to rent a RO Hosting server

then how can gain experience with RO Hosting or Linux ur saying? :o can i still catch up to know everything on hosting?

Hello, we offer server setup on your host just bought VPS hosting linux(UnmanagedVPS Cheap runs on command line with black screen) not windows (cloud hosting or Managed VPS)

i thought UnmanagedVPS means Company serverhosting wont to help people with problem from tech. o.o that is why it is cheap. but i think here vps have too windows as Unmanaged VPS.

well go for Linux because Linux use low memory. than windows. that is why you have more left from memory.

advice: you should go to basic beginner RO. then go ManagedVPS 

like http://herc.ws/board/forum/49-paid-services/  you can search here like: Asurahosting or Wanhosting or ponyVPS or ro-vps or so..

if you got very experience how to running RO and servers then to start UnmanagedVPS. Else you 'll waste a lot money. 

ps: sorry my english is broken. but i hope you 'll understand me. 

Edited by Dramosith

From when I started having my servers hosted, I started off with a Managed VPS hoster... from what I've gathered, they gave me credentials to log into the VPS and I had my 3 desktop icons to start, stop, and restart my server... basically everything was managed by the hoster... Now, for unmanaged, my last server I had was unmanaged where I would run my server through my terminal from my Mac computer... basically everything is maintained through yourself.

(My understanding o-o)

Unmanaged Vps/dedicated servers means you install everything yourself all they will  provide is the hardware and OS (operating system) and technical support (ie cant connect to server) you will use winscp/putty for linux and remote desktop for windows, Managed means you can ask them to install software you want, all non ro managed hosting companys wont setup the RO server for you but they will install the git,make and other software, If you would like to learn read the wiki on linux OS it will give you all the commands you will need to fully set-up and run a RO Server. On windows its more straight forward you go to your browser and visit mysql git and so on.

Unmanaged = cheapest = you are on your own and you will learn a lot or learn nothing, (make sure to read or search any issue you encounter or ask help by posting here)

Managed = maybe cheap = you have someone who will help you and you will learn little and end up depending on them

It will be your choice then, the good thing is you dont need much memory running hercules :)

If you don't know about hosting I wouldn't reccommend you to host a server yet.

If you plan to host your server in a Linux (most frequent decision because of performance-wise advantages) I'd reccomend you to have a Linux distribution in your PC (either on a disk partition, virtual machine or live-CD/USB) and start learning to use it through boks/guides. Beware most Linux server setups have no GUI (since it's useless and eats up resources you could be using for something else) so you'll need to learn to use the console inputs. Once you know the basic commands you'll be able to run a server with just minor troubles you can be solving by googling yourself.

If you plan hosting on a Windows server (usually more expensive) then just keep in mind your server is for hosting your web, server and so, avoid using its bandwidth for downloading things for yourself since you can stumble upon computer viruses for Windows Servers, which is a sadly common issue.

Try to have an experience yourself then judge if you'll need a managed, unmanaged or RO hosting.