Helena

Recommended Server Host?

Hello Hercules,

I was wondering who can recommend me a good hosting provider. Since AsuraHosting is dead i need to move my server to somewhere else.

I do not really have many requirements, just that the connection is fast, they offer server transfers and that they have VNC viewer. (Please don't tell me VNC slows down your server, it might be so (even though I never noticed a difference), but I really love being able to control my server without putty, so yes I think it is worth it).

I've tried Pony VPS but their ping was really bad for me, I also tried Trinity but they had no VNC even though they told me they did. I've contacted AspireHosting a week ago but never had a reply from them, and WanHosting but they use the same main host as Pony VPS. Asura was (despite their bad support) really my #1. I'd like something similar.

Please give me some good recommendations. I would be a long-term customer. Thanks! :)

Edited by Helena

Linode VPS does not have VNC but by far the best lag-free and stable host I have ever used to host my servers. 0 Downtime and it only costs $20.

I used to use Staminus, godaddy, frantech, jaguar hosting, ubiquity, these are all terrible and always have lag spikes.

Edited by Jasc

Just a small tip.

as far as I know, running a  VNC on your VPS will take a part of your RAM and bandwidth. I suggest you to use putty and WinSCP instead.

Just a small tip.

as far as I know, running a  VNC on your VPS will take a part of your RAM and bandwidth. I suggest you to use putty and WinSCP instead.

As you can see in my first post i am aware of it but i still find it worth it.

it must be ro hosting or any hosting? I'm using photonvps.com for my test server and my services.

Edited by Fluffle Puff

Better if you use non-RO VPS, and try to setup yourself, so you can get rid of those high prices of RO Hostings.

Better if you use non-RO VPS, and try to setup yourself, so you can get rid of those high prices of RO Hostings.

agree with you sir :)

but. there will be ddos attack hahaha

There are lots of regular hosts that also offer DoS mitigation and protection, you just have to dive a bit into hosts and ask if they can offer you this protection.

Anyways, best DoS protection is a hardware firewall.

There are lots of regular hosts that also offer DoS mitigation and protection, you just have to dive a bit into hosts and ask if they can offer you this protection.

Anyways, best DoS protection is a hardware firewall.

Yes, Hardware one is the preferred one, because it does most job before any Attack reaching the server.

and its a cheaper than RO host(for those who think companies giving RO-VPS are cheap).

Or Buy a DS and share it amongst other server owners :P

If you know what you're doing™, check out Ubiquity Hosting. I've been with them for the past month now, and they've got great customer service, good deals, and (so far) 100% uptime; you get what you pay for. If it seems a bit out of your budget, BuyVM is a preferable alternative. I wouldn't recommend any of those RO-VPS deals; most of them are unreliable, like the one that disappeared without a word to its customers. You're much better off choosing an established host over some small start-up.

If you know what you're doing™, check out Ubiquity Hosting. I've been with them for the past month now, and they've got great customer service, good deals, and (so far) 100% uptime; you get what you pay for. If it seems a bit out of your budget, BuyVM is a preferable alternative. I wouldn't recommend any of those RO-VPS deals; most of them are unreliable, like the one that disappeared without a word to its customers. You're much better off choosing an established host over some small start-up.

I agree with this point. Use an established service. DigitalOcean doesn't provide VNC by default but they have excellent tutorials on how to do so. with SSD and $5/mo plan that will run Hercules, you can't go wrong.

I use digitalocean and it's very fast since they have a lot of datacenters including in asia(singapore)

but it does not have anti-ddos :(

I use digitalocean and it's very fast since they have a lot of datacenters including in asia(singapore)

but it does not have anti-ddos :(

Who says? You honestly think DigitalOcean isn't supporting their network with ways to mitigate attacks? Come on. The whole "Anti-DDOS" crap that RO hosts pushes was a total gimmick, most of them didn't even have protection against attacks. Add some rules against attacks on a software level (firewall rules and such) and let your host worry about the more advanced methods which they most certainly already implement.

In short, don't use hosts claiming to be good for "game hosting", "ro server hosting", etc... rent from a good provider such as Linode, DigitalOcean, Amazon, etc... learn command line while you're at it. Stop using a gui for everything.

That is true. Anyway, Linode has a 3 ddos rule, they will cancel your account once you have been ddos attack 3 times. Correct me if I am wrong.

search amazon ec2, you can have free vps for 1 year and is good enough to have 500 players at same time.But dosent have ddos protection i guess xd, and if you want better perfomance pay 5 cent per hour or somthing like that xd

Edited by moraru