Sign in to follow this  
neil413

Need Help setting up a VPS server for Ragnarok

Question

can someone share your auto installer for installing phpmyadmin and working everything all commands like ./athena-start and many more also looking for vnc can someone help me how do i get since i tried the comfort vps autoinstaller i tried to use but still not work properly for setting up a vps ragnarok server?

2 answers to this question

can someone share your auto installer for installing phpmyadmin and working everything all commands like ./athena-start and many more also looking for vnc can someone help me how do i get since i tried the comfort vps autoinstaller i tried to use but still not work properly for setting up a vps ragnarok server?

just use manually bro. zzz

You don't really need vnc and running a desktop environment on your server will use more resources for no benefits... Download putty and access your server through ssh from windows (or use the ssh command if you are using LInux)

The easiest way to handle things is to make yourself an user account with a strong password on your server with the command adduser and use it to access your server. You can always escalate your privileges with the su command if you need it and you can also mitigate bruteforce attacks on your server by disabling ssh root login in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Then install yourself an ftp server like proftpd if you need to transfer files to your server and make sure to edit /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf to jail users in their homes to limit security issues. When connected through ssh to your server with your user account download and install Hercules with the following tutorial (assuming you are using a debian-based distribution) : http://herc.ws/wiki/Installation_%28Debian%29

To handle server instances and launching I suggest you install screen and use a bash script like this one in your Hercules folder to start your RO server :

#!/bin/shscreen -S login -d -m ./login-serverscreen -S char -d -m ./char-serverscreen -S map -d -m ./map-server

to access a server instance, simply use the command

screen -r [screen name]

and use ctrl+a+d to leave the screen without stopping the server.

Regarding PhpMyAdmin it should only take a configuration file to edit after you installed apache and php of course. Personally I prefer forwarding port 3306 through a ssh session and access my database with mysql-workbench but I have no idea if you can do this on windows.

EDIT : Typos, bad English...

Edited by Arei