Vuluts

CentOS vs Debian

Question

Hello Hercules,

I just recently got my VPS for my dev studies, can I have your opinion guys which of the two Linux VPS OS is the best to used CentOS or Debian?

My VPS specs is:

512 MB RAM
1 GB SWAP
1 vCore 2.4 GHz
30 GB SSD
250 GB bandwidth

Thank you in advance and more power!

PS. Admin & Mods, please move my topic if I posted in the wrong section thank you!

Edited by Vuluts

7 answers to this question

Both distributions are perfectly usable. The main differences is that CentOS carries very outdated software (or stable, as they call it). I personally find debian easier to use and manage, and more compatible with third party software (especially with modern software).

for the development and test environment Debian
production environment centos

however you use as you see fit,
if what it is easier and more practical for you.

Thank you for this information @@ellandson.

@@Vuluts I suggest you using centos  :wub:

Thank you for the suggestion @@mrlongshen, which CentOS version 6.4, 6.5 or 6.6?.

Both distributions are perfectly usable. The main differences is that CentOS carries very outdated software (or stable, as they call it). I personally find debian easier to use and manage, and more compatible with third party software (especially with modern software).

Thank you for the suggestion @@Haru, which Debian version 7.8 or 8.0?.

There is usually little to no reason to install an outdated version (unless your hardware isn't supported by the latest). This means that you should go for Debian 8 or CentOS 7. CentOS 6.x is a bad choice, because it comes with a version of gcc that we don't offer support for (it may work or may break at times), and you should upgrade it on your own.

Debian 8 would be great. :)

Thank you for the suggestion @hemagx.

There is usually little to no reason to install an outdated version (unless your hardware isn't supported by the latest). This means that you should go for Debian 8 or CentOS 7. CentOS 6.x is a bad choice, because it comes with a version of gcc that we don't offer support for (it may work or may break at times), and you should upgrade it on your own.

Noted @Haru 

Edited by Vuluts