Mumbles

Second Server Channel

Question

I wrote a similar topic on rAthena boards in regards to setting up a second server channel on the same machine. After deciding that running two servers on the same machine was going to be an issue, I decided to use a separate computer for the second channel.

My second server is configured so that it shares only the login server with the main computer; the char and map servers are hosted on the machine itself. The second channel appears as an option after logging in (before char select), but I'm having a problem getting past that point; the client returns "Failed to connect", even though the second server is up and running.

On a side note, I use harmony with my client; could this be conflicting with using a second channel? And if at all possible, I'd like to stick to the concept of using the client as a medium for both channels.

7 answers to this question

Hmm I like the concept, setting up a system to allow the user to add more than 1 char & map server with 1 login server, located on different machines, all communicating, that would be nice. Alternatively what would also be nice would be to add support for interlinking several servers from different machines to make 1 server.

Examples:

3 machines, each has 1 server, char, login, map.

Example 2:

6 Machines, each running 1 map, 1 char, 1 login server. All using the same db, and none of them allowing to the logging in of the same account twice. This would be an example to attempt to reduce lag.

I wrote a similar topic on rAthena boards in regards to setting up a second server channel on the same machine. After deciding that running two servers on the same machine was going to be an issue, I decided to use a separate computer for the second channel.

My second server is configured so that it shares only the login server with the main computer; the char and map servers are hosted on the machine itself. The second channel appears as an option after logging in (before char select), but I'm having a problem getting past that point; the client returns "Failed to connect", even though the second server is up and running.

On a side note, I use harmony with my client; could this be conflicting with using a second channel? And if at all possible, I'd like to stick to the concept of using the client as a medium for both channels.

I had a similar setup like this, but also ran into the issue of @main / broadcasts not displaying across both servers (I referred to the different char/map services as "channels"). If there were some manner of mirroring messages/broadcasts (rather, a toggle for broadcasts made by GMs) would be nice for those who make use of such a setup. I originally wanted to have one login server servicing three different VPS machines, each hosting map/char for a different "channel", in different locations around the world (USA, eastern Asia, Europe). If something was made here that would support easy communication for players of each location, that'd be pretty amazing.

Nameless2you's post actually introduces an interesting concept that I'd like to look into, but its not quite what I was trying to do. :c

In response to jTynne, it'd be pretty to integrate a global broadcasting system across channels; this could probably be done by reintroducing IRC integration and having each separate channel listening in on the same IRC channel.

As for my issue, I wanna get it going similarly to that of iRO's clients, where you can choose what server to play on after logging in; if the servers are hosted on separate machines, you're always using the same login database without lagging a single machine. My problem at the moment is simply failing to connect after selecting the second server, and I'm totally clueless at the moment as to why it happening. xD

did you check if the main machine can communicate with the second channel??

or the second channel can accept incoming connection...

:meow:

Both machines have no limitations with accepting connections. However, inter_conf.txt (imported) directs the second channel to log into the main server's SQL databases. Would this have anything to do with not being able to get past the server selection menu when choosing the second channel?

Both machines have no limitations with accepting connections. However, inter_conf.txt (imported) directs the second channel to log into the main server's SQL databases. Would this have anything to do with not being able to get past the server selection menu when choosing the second channel?

if that were the case one of the servers would have error messages in their consoles

Oddly enough, neither do. I'm not completely new to this, so I'm a little distraught as to what is preventing connections. I even disabled the firewall on both machines, to no avail.