Wolfeh

Duplicated map, crashes client upon warp

Question

'Hokay, here's another problem I absolutely cannot figure out. XD

I have a handful of maps which are duplicates and every time I @warp to them, the client crashes with no error (just blabla.exe has stopped working). I tried another client with different diffs (not sure which ones, is an old one which I no longer use but it is the same date as the one I am using) and got this message (world NULL error) to pop up if it means anything:

post-5746-0-65719900-1478660441_thumb.jpg

Yes I added them to maps.conf, map_index.txt, resnametable, mapnametable, and cached successfully with Herc's mapcache. It also has the minimap in the proper place (texture\À¯ÀúÀÎÅÍÆäÀ̽º\map). I get no error server-side, so it is a client problem. I tried just doing recommended patches while diffing to see if it was diff related and still crashed... I use NEMO to diff. Client is 2015-05-13aRagexe.

maps.conf:     "berz_03",
map_index.txt: berz_03 1259 (tried with and without ID)
mapnametable: berz_03.rsw#Testing#
resnametable:
berz_03.gnd#force_map3.gnd#
berz_03.gat#force_map3.gat#
berz_03.rsw#force_map3.rsw#
À¯ÀúÀÎÅÍÆäÀ̽º\map\berz_03.bmp#À¯ÀúÀÎÅÍÆäÀ̽º\map\force_map3.bmp#

Edited by Wolfeh

6 answers to this question

Apparently it was the encoding of our .thor patches, it was unicode when it needed to be ASCII. By default, GRF editor saves in Unicode. Saved patch with ThorGenerator as ASCII and no problems.

That Error usually happens when you manually rename the map file, you need to rename it via browedit

Wait so when duplicating a map, you need the physical file too? I thought you just stuck it in resnametable?

You don't need physical map file but I suspect there might be physical map file that's why this error is coming

You don't need physical map file but I suspect there might be physical map file that's why this error is coming

Hmmm I think it might be encryption related. I add our maps to an unencrypted grf and no error. Any way to have custom maps, encrypted GRF, and no errors?

Yup just tried encryption with Advanced GRF Tool Suite and it errored.

Edited by Wolfeh

You can patch with encrypted using GRF Editor using the patch maker tool. Works fine for me. :)

You just need to encrypt the .thor patch file before using patch maker.

Don't forget to add to your mapcache.