Temtaime

New life for RO

1 hour ago, Temtaime said:

Hello everybody !

The dream for those who love customizing Ragnarok like myself. I cant say how anxious and happy I am. @Vlync that's not how we should welcome such a ambitious project, and when i say ambitious i mean that the complexity of this project is huge! Someone trying to accomplish something like this for the community should always be celebrated, even with the failures of previous attempts.

@Temtaime
Thank you for your time, and count on me with testing! 
Hope to give you ideas on the creation of an APIs to help developers interact with the client engine.
And as you said, there is an infinity of possibilities with a custom client \o/
Hope to hear more about the project soon. ;]

Edited by raPalooza~

Honestly, good work so far with the content. That shadowing though lol. Also, is it just me or do the character sprites look a bit more smoothed out? o-o

28 minutes ago, Mystery said:

Honestly, good work so far with the content. That shadowing though lol. Also, is it just me or do the character sprites look a bit more smoothed out? o-o

Possibly, that's how 2D pic (sprite) might look in high-end 3D environment ?

I wish you the best of luck. I cannot offer anything but this.

As Dastgir writes below, this is a dream project for any RO person out there. Not having to rely on client releases would be awesome.

Edited by Myriad

Good luck, let us know if you need some help

I guess no one would deny help for this dream project

Thanks for yours support !

Project is written in D(dlang.org) using OpenGL as on all the platforms.

Currently it is a closed-source project, but i will post some more info soon.

Speaking about help there's some work with original client, for example effects table extraction and some work on file formats.

12 hours ago, caspe said:

is this photos with fog enable?

Some are yes and some are not(it's on on screens with character and off on the others because of making far planes blurred).

Edited by Temtaime

Very cool. Since the server side is open source, someone should initiate the same for the client side as well. But lets just be reminded again that the contents are proprietary, so anything done against could lead to a lawsuit... or something. But you have my upvote!

19 minutes ago, Temtaime said:

A client now has a name - Æsir !

Maybe name something that can able to write easily. 

Name looks good but how to joint A and E?

Edited by caspe

While I really want this to succeed I have my doubts. I've been involved with this community for many, many years (since 2005 / 12+ years).

I've seen so many "new RO client", "custom RO client", "client rewrite", "open source client" projects, and absolutely none of them have succeeded. They all get to at least this stage:

• Map Viewer
  • Chat
  • Character creation / rendering

Then they stop being interested in developing it, get burnt out and then quit. Biggest issue they all have? So far, out of the 5 or 6 projects I've seen pop up since 2005, only one of them ever shared their source code. If you're going to actively pursue this goal, share the code. Open source it and invite in more developers. Having it closed source + paid / donations to get access is going to get you in deep legal shit with Gravity. Do not think "oh they can't" or "they don't know who I am" or "they can't find me", believe me it's not hard. They know who pretty much everyone is irl that has massive contributions within the athena community.

Open source it as an educational project, do not advertise it as an "RO Client". Like with athena, advertise it as an "MMORPG Client". Make a solid core framework that you can then extend with RO specifics to build a client capable of running RO.

There are many old school athena developers who would join this project if you simply opened it up and had some serious noticeable progress on it.

Do not make the same mistake as all those other dead projects.

Is beautiful! 

On 25/6/2017 at 11:45 PM, kisuka said:

While I really want this to succeed I have my doubts. I've been involved with this community for many, many years (since 2005 / 12+ years).

I've seen so many "new RO client", "custom RO client", "client rewrite", "open source client" projects, and absolutely none of them have succeeded. They all get to at least this stage:

• Map Viewer
  • Chat
  • Character creation / rendering

Then they stop being interested in developing it, get burnt out and then quit. Biggest issue they all have? So far, out of the 5 or 6 projects I've seen pop up since 2005, only one of them ever shared their source code. If you're going to actively pursue this goal, share the code. Open source it and invite in more developers. Having it closed source + paid / donations to get access is going to get you in deep legal shit with Gravity. Do not think "oh they can't" or "they don't know who I am" or "they can't find me", believe me it's not hard. They know who pretty much everyone is irl that has massive contributions within the athena community.

Open source it as an educational project, do not advertise it as an "RO Client". Like with athena, advertise it as an "MMORPG Client". Make a solid core framework that you can then extend with RO specifics to build a client capable of running RO.

There are many old school athena developers who would join this project if you simply opened it up and had some serious noticeable progress on it.

Do not make the same mistake as all those other dead projects.

Yep...

so this is dead now?

Allez vous faire foutre tous ceux qui m'disent que c'est mort.

Are you really think that it's so easy to write a game from scratch on one's own ?

I am working and i have my life, and with all those things i am continuing write this client.

There will be first public beta release in 1-2 weeks with new features, of course.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:08 PM, Temtaime said:

A client now has a name - Æsir !

You can support development on the patreon. More support, less freelance i do :D

https://www.patreon.com/temtaime

First public build will be available soon.

I'll gladly become a patron of this project once a public release is available!