Anubis1992

How to activate SQL DB instead of txt?

Question

Hello all,

I'm new to Herc after years of using rA. Now I'm trying to setup an new pre re LR and didn't find any setting to activate that the server loads all DBs from SQL instead of those txt? Could anybody please help me or isn't it makeable to load everything from sql ??

Greetings

6 answers to this question

for static data as items, mobs etc, hercules not support sql at all.

In sql stored only dynamic data. For examples chars, logins.

But hercules allow generate sql tables with items, mobs and other static files for web applications. Need use hercules plugin db2sql. Try search on github wiki or forums about db2sql

5 hours ago, Anubis1992 said:

Hmm, okay that's sad. I don't want to use txt dbs so I have to go back to rA. Really sad, that herc isn't so good as everybody tells. SQL DB is the most important feature ever. 

Most important feature ever?

You can generate sql db using your item_db.conf. Not sure why you need sql db to run your server? You using old server with sql db and you can't port to new version?

@Anubis1992 using sql db for static data (mob db, item db etc) is useless. it can be very slow and use too much memory.

Hercules allow for people who want use web app get whole static dbs in sql, but hercules itself not using them and this is correct.

Another thing. sql db is very limited for static data. Ra using very limited dbs too. But correct config format allow add as many as want additional features and flags into statiic dbs.

Try to compare item_db.conf and sql table from ra. will be too much difference.

Besides , there's no proper way to update SQL mob/item db easily, the owner need to compare changes and manually check if there's something changed, since the way that is used is "replace the fields using primary key" which overwrites all the data.

Also, we aren't here to compare each and every thing from other emu and implement it. Both emu have different work flow and different view to how the working should be.

@Dastgirsimple regeneration is not enough?

i dont think db updated very often on production. and for update sql tables, need simply run generated sql scripts