Sign in to follow this  
OnNplay

How about drop Pre Renewal from Hercules ?

Maybe I am the one that really one to see Hercules focus in developing renewal.

Also maybe others have a better views that may convince me to agree with pre renewal too.

Those day developer team in rathena drop text and continuing sql.

So lets try to drop pre renewal.

I myself know more servers that are still in pre-re than those that use it. I'm nobody to tell what Hercules should do but I'd prefer pre-re to stay.

Txt servers were a burden since they weren't recommended to be used on production servers and devs had to practically code twice in both totally different account engines, and also providing support for them. pre-re and re are quite compatible in the code, most things don't have to be done twice as it happened with account engines.

im still like using prenewal setting just to enjoy old ragnarok days

i dont think it will hurt dev for prenewal stay in herc

NO man, Think how many hours the devs tried to make this configurable to re and pre-re.

and

Why not both? xD

sorry for that, but drop yourself.

Pre-re it's Called Ragnarok Online.

Hercules is Ragnarok Online emulator.

Renewal with their mechanic, new mobs, episodes, 3rd jobs and etc make another game. it's not ragnarok online.

> 80% of RO community still on pre-re, and most of them hate renewal.

So...

Edited by pixel

Maybe I am the one that really one to see Hercules focus in developing renewal.

Also maybe others have a better views that may convince me to agree with pre renewal too.

Those day developer team in rathena drop text and continuing sql.

So lets try to drop pre renewal.

Dropping pre-RE is not going to be some kind of magic button that makes the devs start doing more renewal development. The devs have always worked on whatever they felt like doing / had the ability or time to do.

*If it really was causing issues with development, you can be certain Jman or Ind would've been vocal about it.

**As for dropping txt, there had been no support for txt for years - not even eA supported txt in its last years. Even the cash shop and mail code wasn't working with txt. No developer wanted to add any support for text. No one was using txt except either the most inexperienced of users or people that just refused to set up a small sql server for their test environments. rAsql fixed that issue quite easily.

Edited by SketchyPhoenix

NO man, Think how many hours the devs tried to make this configurable to re and pre-re.

and

Why not both? xD

Basically I do agree with having both.

Nice to see SketchyPhonix around Hercules.

I just concern about the past, Ream, eAmod, 3ceam.

ream and 3ceam happened because of a serious lack of organization in eA. devs all had different opinions on when / how we should've done 3rd jobs so nothing was done. another team had to do it. same thing with renewal/preRE. I don't want to make Paradox look bad or anything but I wish he hadn't stonewalled some of those decisions especially when i threw the idea of just merging with 3ceam on the table. he didn't like the quality of the 3ceam code and he was adamant on adding in all this new content on his own (or at least getting the rest of the team rallied behind it, but historically things like this rarely happen) even though at the time eA's development was at a crawl since most of the team was either burned out or just too busy to devote much time to eA.

by the time any kind of action was taken, it was too late. the community had already fragmented and eA was being passed up in overall progress.

ream and 3ceam happened because of a serious lack of organization in eA. devs all had different opinions on when / how we should've done 3rd jobs so nothing was done. another team had to do it. same thing with renewal/preRE. I don't want to make Paradox look bad or anything but I wish he hadn't stonewalled some of those decisions especially when i threw the idea of just merging with 3ceam on the table. he didn't like the quality of the 3ceam code and he was adamant on adding in all this new content on his own (or at least getting the rest of the team rallied behind it, but historically things like this rarely happen) even though at the time eA's development was at a crawl since most of the team was either burned out or just too busy to devote much time to eA.

by the time any kind of action was taken, it was too late. the community had already fragmented and eA was being passed up in overall progress.

A friendly face <3 and completely agree on every thing you said. eA went thru hard times ever since the HDD issue at Frantech.

That aside, I'm on the side of ditching pre-renewal. Yes, some people still use pre-renewal. But the whole point of this emulator is to emulate the latest version of RO. At a certain point, down the line, I think it's going to become an issue to manage both in a single server setup.

One recommendation is to port it off into it's own branch on the github repo. Master would be RE and you can make a non-RE branch which would get basic bug fixes but be locked at a specific client version, as to not have to keep throwing updates at it to support new features that are added to the client.

At a certain point, this is gonna have to happen :/ I don't think it wise to look at this in the "we'll cross that road when we come to it" mind-set.

Look at this 3 years down the road when RE has tons more features, yet we have to keep implementing IF statements to keep the pre/re stuff going on. Ultimately it clutters the source. Not to mention the complete unbalanced classes. 3rd classes and the new extended classes slowly be added were not meant for a pre-RE scenario.

Just a small side note: I was for ditching txt support way back when I first became a script/db dev at eA.

Edited by kisuka

Look at this 3 years down the road when RE has tons more features, yet we have to keep implementing IF statements to keep the pre/re stuff going on. Ultimately it clutters the source. Not to mention the complete unbalanced classes. 3rd classes and the new extended classes slowly be added were not meant for a pre-RE scenario.

Some people like me use pre-re with 3rds.

but as if I can control this, I'll just go with the project and trust the admins and devs' decision, I just leech lol.

Some people like me use pre-re with 3rds.

but as if I can control this, I'll just go with the project and trust the admins and devs' decision, I just leech lol.

yes most do, however, they were never meant to be used with pre-RE formulas. It's highly unbalanced. MMOs are meant to be fluid and keep changing. We can't keep holding onto the past version of RO. We should be primarily focused on keeping this emulator up to date with the current kRO. Hence why I've been looking for translators to assist with translating things for us. I've found a Chinese translator and a Korean translator. All to benefit the community and keep RE updates coming.

Edited by kisuka

I am trying to silently leech (mleo1) but i can't keep quiet when we don't have stable emulator.

Do we have any complete emulator for 2nd Job RO? I wish i can have one.

isn't possible to split them? ex. hercules-pre(final) and hercules-re(alpha)

Why not have in 1 if we can have it, making it easy for owner to switch between pre-re and renewal.

Why not have in 1 if we can have it, making it easy for owner to switch between pre-re and renewal.

well my point is for those who wanna develop their re they can stay to alpha while pre-re lovers will stay to final ;) separated files so no more argue?

well my point is for those who wanna develop their re they can stay to alpha while pre-re lovers will stay to final ;) separated files so no more argue?

Pre-RE servers likes system updates too. Why finalize it.

so why not separate the pre-re and merge the system updates when re is update. Is that impossible?

so why not separate the pre-re and merge the system updates when re is update. Is that impossible?

That will make dev to work double, to add code in pre-re and in re too. if there's only 1, both are updated.