Vejova

Browedit crashes or fails to load all data

Question

So I downloaded the pre-configured Browedit 586, 620, and 2.0 from the official discord links and followed the setup directions. I'm having a problem with opening maps from data.grf file.

At first 586 and 620 would just close the entire program when I tried to "open from .grf"

I then ran 586 and 620 in compatibility mode (i'm on win10) and it would then open a blank map with one yellow dot. Browedit 2.0 gave me an error that looks the attached image.

I also checked that my .grf is under 2.x gigs and that's not it. It's at like 1.4g. I'm running option #2 from here.

Anyone know what's wrong here?

EDIT: "Error: [22:13:43] Error loading texture C:\......clientdata\texture\┐÷┼═\water000.jpg!
gd-jpeg: JPEG library reports unrecoverable error: Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x00 0x00

I'm now getting a bunch of these errors when I try to open the files. It looks like the water files are bad?

IMG_20200707_1438352.jpg

Edited by Vejova
added error log

1 answer to this question

Problem solved.

Neither of the major 2 data files from this link are compatible with Borf's editor. One is too large, and the other doesn't work (see below). I had to download the 2017 data.grf from here. So far everything is working fine.

Best guess is that those "unnecessary files" they removed to make the .grf smaller were, in fact, quite necessary...

Browedit simply can't read the compression. I even wrote it there several times.