lowkey

Things to know as server owner

Question

Hi new to the scene and want to build my own private server. I have a few questions and would greatly and thankfully appreciate your help. First let me explain my situation and background. Im a Computer Science graduate and will not have any problems learning a new language or programming methods. I will be the server owner and if I can learn everything by myself I will also be the developer as well, but if not I will hire a developer.

1. What are the things I should know as a server owner? I've read some posts that there are cases that the developer will sometimes swindle the server owner for server profits. What are things that I should be aware of with my server? I've done my research that      a) I should atleast know how item properties/effects works and their code structure. b) reading some server logs, trade logs, anything more?

2. Does the developer have the full access to my server, specifically sql? because here is where you can change your GM lvl to make use of the @item command. right? (correct me if im wrong)

3.  Does the server host have also full access to my server?

4. What are the payments to be made every month? did I miss something? And can you give me a rough estimate for a player of 500 players

Server host

Website host/forums

Gameguard

Developer(monthly or one time payment)

Advertisements

i still have a few technical stuffs but for now these come first.

7 answers to this question

41 minutes ago, lowkey said:

Hi new to the scene and want to build my own private server. I have a few questions and would greatly and thankfully appreciate your help. First let me explain my situation and background. Im a Computer Science graduate and will not have any problems learning a new language or programming methods. I will be the server owner and if I can learn everything by myself I will also be the developer as well, but if not I will hire a developer.

1. What are the things I should know as a server owner? I've read some posts that there are cases that the developer will sometimes swindle the server owner for server profits. What are things that I should be aware of with my server? I've done my research that      a) I should atleast know how item properties/effects works and their code structure. b) reading some server logs, trade logs, anything more?

2. Does the developer have the full access to my server, specifically sql? because here is where you can change your GM lvl to make use of the @item command. right? (correct me if im wrong)

4. What are the payments to be made every month? did I miss something? And can you give me a rough estimate for a player of 500 players

Server host

Website host/forums

Gameguard

Advertisements

First thing first you need to learn how to play this game, because without knowledge in the ragnarok, its hard for you to catch up. 

Edited by Kuya Jeo

then search any tutorials how install server. here on forums exists even almost complete offline pack.

If you are a totally newbie and plan to open a server with that population, please reconsider. Your players will get disappointed with your knowledge.

As a starter you may practice on your own offline server , when you are confident enough on your knowledge, publish a server for your friends and it will help you to gain experience.  Later you can publish a small server to gain management experience. Eventually you may try to open a server for big population which requires enormous money, knowledge, experience, passion and dedication.

I also think that they fail that you would reconsider your objectives in terms of populations. You would expect 500 players, that's fine, any private server operator would like their server to be populated to have the best gaming experience possible.
But like @gantz said review your objectids. First, because if your goals are not reached, you will be greatly disappointed and lose a lot of motivation. Keep in mind that the community can be toxic and it can also disgust you when managing server administration.
I understand that you dream of being GM of your own server, however, don't set yourself too high a goal just yet.
Familiarize yourself with the commands, how to set up your npc etc etc, make yourself known a minimum with one or more small server and once that, think bigger.

You can train on this complete offline server.
Obviously some src changes will be in effect, such as empium bar and guardian woe issues which were fixed a short while ago.

https://github.com/HerculesWS/Hercules/pull/2931

https://github.com/HerculesWS/Hercules/issues/2912

18 hours ago, lowkey said:

1. What are the things I should know as a server owner? I've read some posts that there are cases that the developer will sometimes swindle the server owner for server profits.

Most of the cases. But not only the developer sometimes the owner take advantage of developers works.

What are things that I should be aware of with my server? I've done my research that 

17 hours ago, Kuya Jeo said:

a) I should atleast know how item properties/effects works and their code structure.

Most of the private server modified their setup from /conf/battle such as custom drop rates / exp rates / other modification.
Item implementation and also custom NPC's.

b) reading some server logs, trade logs, anything more?

If there's some scam reports, hacking incidents and other things Yes.
Or if you are watching your GM activities too.

You can hire a developer depends on what you need. If you know how to setup the server then you don't need to give them an access.
a.) Your developer will only send you the script/src/files you asked. And you are the one who will install it to the server.

b.) If you hire a developer and you have 0% knowledge then there's a chance that your question #1 will happen.

Yes, they do have access. Just a tip. Do not host your server to any RO-hosting, pick something like popular one. Digitalhosting, OVH, Usdedicated or NFOserver

Server host

Website host/forums

Gameguard

Advertisements

This is very tricky. If your server is doing fine without getting DDoS you can just host it 4-8gb Ram server and cheap hosting but good speed such as nfoserver and digitalhosting.

Server host: around 20-200$ again depends on what your server need.
Website host/forum: 5~20$ this is pretty much the same. You can buy a monthly web hosting or yearly (for cheaper price).

Gameguard: Gepard shield. 150$ for basic Gepard Shield. functor also offers some addons such as aura/color nick and lgp.

Developer: depends on the agreement.
Advertisements: Depends on how big the server you want to be.

-------------------------------------

Good tips.

12 hours ago, Daraen said:

Keep in mind that the community can be toxic and it can also disgust you when managing server administration.

15 hours ago, gantz said:

As a starter you may practice on your own offline server , when you are confident enough on your knowledge, publish a server for your friends and it will help you to gain experience.  Later you can publish a small server to gain management experience. Eventually you may try to open a server for big population which requires enormous money, knowledge, experience, passion and dedication.

If you don't know how to independently operate everything, you're not supposed to open a server. You'll just end up like most of the server owners in the Philippines, who are popping out like mushrooms because of the income they can generate and disappears in a month. I'm sure most server owners will deny it, but you can easily tell what motivates them just by viewing their donation shop and patch notes.

Running a server requires competence, patience, and consistency. These 3 values are important for a server to survive its 1st year. This is based on my own experience in SolaceRO.

Final advice: 

Knowing how to 'program' will not make you a good server owner. Acquire some experience first; join someone else's server as a co-developer.

Edited by Neffletics

On 1/23/2021 at 4:10 AM, vBrenth said:

Most of the cases. But not only the developer sometimes the owner take advantage of developers works.

Most of the private server modified their setup from /conf/battle such as custom drop rates / exp rates / other modification.
Item implementation and also custom NPC's.

If there's some scam reports, hacking incidents and other things Yes.
Or if you are watching your GM activities too.

You can hire a developer depends on what you need. If you know how to setup the server then you don't need to give them an access.
a.) Your developer will only send you the script/src/files you asked. And you are the one who will install it to the server.

b.) If you hire a developer and you have 0% knowledge then there's a chance that your question #1 will happen.

Yes, they do have access. Just a tip. Do not host your server to any RO-hosting, pick something like popular one. Digitalhosting, OVH, Usdedicated or NFOserver

This is very tricky. If your server is doing fine without getting DDoS you can just host it 4-8gb Ram server and cheap hosting but good speed such as nfoserver and digitalhosting.

Server host: around 20-200$ again depends on what your server need.
Website host/forum: 5~20$ this is pretty much the same. You can buy a monthly web hosting or yearly (for cheaper price).

Gameguard: Gepard shield. 150$ for basic Gepard Shield. functor also offers some addons such as aura/color nick and lgp.

Developer: depends on the agreement.
Advertisements: Depends on how big the server you want to be.

-------------------------------------

Good tips.

thanks for the input.. im following your tips and currently developing everything on the offline server. maybe ill give myself time and if I can learn everything, i will be the server/developer as well. Cheers*

31 minutes ago, lowkey said:

thanks for the input.. im following your tips and currently developing everything on the offline server. maybe ill give myself time and if I can learn everything, i will be the server/developer as well. Cheers*

Everything you need to know is in Herc and rAthena forums. Also, you'll get a faster response in the Discord channel should you have technical questions. Good luck!