aabarreto

A Huge Lot of Questions

Question

Hey, guys!

So, I'm new around here and have been receiving some help (thanks, Daraen!)...

Instead of making a lot of posts, one for each doubt I have, I decided to great a big one (that tends to grow with the answers) and try to learn the most from the answers I get. Many thanks to everyone that finds some time to help a complete newbie.

So, let's go, for a start:

1. What's the emulator? Is it the "server" itself? It contains all the game files? If I change something, I should change there first somehow and then change in the client folder?

1.A. If that's the case, how to change stuff on the emulator? I don't seem to find a "data.grf" there...

2. What's the client and which one could I use? I'd like to use bRO (Brasil Ragnarok Online) as a base, instead of translating everything... Is it possible? I only need to download the client and the emulator will manage without any changes?

3. Is there anyway to import a lot of items/data from another server or I need to do it one by one?

1 answer to this question

1) Yes, emulator = server. No, it doesn't contains all game files. It contains only files for logic and npc translation. 

If you change logic - you don't change game files. If you add something(eg. custom hat) - you must. Also you can change map(their look) at client side and don't change nothing at server

1.A. Just google "How to change -put here- herc ragnarok" - a lot of guides

2. NPC translation on server side. At client side - skills, items. So you can use any client but copy some files from bRO. High % that you must create own .exe file for your server

3. No

1. Emulator: Hercules or rAthena.
- https://github.com/HerculesWS/Hercules
- https://github.com/rathena/rathena

Either you use, hercules, or rathena. all you will find in these links are emulators.

To change things in the emulator, especially at the src level, you must be of an advanced level. Handling srcs at your level will only break your emulator, maybe to the point of making you start over everything you did from the beginning. Touch these files only if you know what you are doing.

1a. data.grf is not in the emulator but in your client.
You can use the client available in the anacondaq package if that is enough for you, otherwise take an up-to-date file but it may contain a lot of "bugs" or missing files. If you change the client, and therefore the executable, don't forget to modify the PACKETVERs in your src so that you can start the game.

2. I'm not Brazilian, so I don't know bRO but if the grf files are not encrypted, extract them to implant them in your client, if that is what you are looking for.

3. To implement custom elements, you have to do it manually, there is a tool for merging between grf but this merges all of your grf with the one you choose, again only if you know what you are doing. . The best is still to do it one by one to be sure you know where your mistakes are.

Finally, if I can give you some advice, don't try to skip the steps to go too fast. A server develops over time, its risk of being long and tedious when you start.

But this is only part of the iceberg. Remember that this is only the start of a long development phase, there are always improvements to be made / added for your future community, think that once the server is open, you have nothing more to do will be a mistake.
Good luck

Edited by Daraen