Sign in to follow this  
evilpuncker

Drop use_grf setting

// Read map data from GATs and RSWs in GRF files or a data directory
// as referenced by grf-files.txt rather than from the mapcache?
use_grf: no

I'm here to suggest to drop this setting as I think that no one uses it, everyone loves mapcache xD

dumb idea.

Well, that's one very constructive and nice post.

@topic

I'm pretty sure most people use mapcache, but I guess there still are people that prefer to read directly from a grf file and it sure is better to do custom map tests with use_grf on. So I don't think that's a good idea to drop this option.

persoanlly, i have never used this grf setting thingy.. not even once.. O__O

i am using the WeeMapcache all the time ...it's way more simply then using the grf setting mentioned above.

just a few click ...and you are done adding a new maps...

vote for drop it.

@topic

I'm pretty sure most people use mapcache, but I guess there still are people that prefer to read directly from a grf file and it sure is better to do custom map tests with use_grf on. So I don't think that's a good idea to drop this option.

With WeeMapCache it's a lot more easier to test maps as well... especially you can see if the .gat of the map is actually available through this software.

I never used this feature to test out maps as I've always used WeeMap so... don't think it's really a needed feature anymore? =/

@Tepoo

Please reply with something more valuable instead of "-1 dumb idea" as this point wouldn't be taken into account as it doesn't justify a reason to keep the "use_grf" setting from your perspective.

i'm with this +1

but before do it hercules have to provide tool to do it.

even if WeeMap exist.

i think so.

@topic

With WeeMapCache it's a lot more easier to test maps as well... especially you can see if the .gat of the map is actually available through this software.

I never used this feature to test out maps as I've always used WeeMap so... don't think it's really a needed feature anymore? =/

@Tepoo

Please reply with something more valuable instead of "-1 dumb idea" as this point wouldn't be taken into account as it doesn't justify a reason to keep the "use_grf" setting from your perspective.

i'm with this +1

but before do it hercules have to provide tool to do it.

even if WeeMap exist.

i think so.

Why use a 3rd party tool or even code one when you can just use your grf to do tests? Also removing this feature wouldn't delete any files that are already being used in the source as they are used by mapcache as well. Our codebase won't change much, actually. It's something that works and nobody needs to download other tools to test.

i vote not to remove,

while it might be useless to most who love the mapcache.

removing wont improve anything and will be just one feature less, and as above some people still use it (personal preference maybe)

its not affecting anyone if the feature stays..

Yom

I do not see any reason to remove it, just like Yommy said it is not hurting anyone.

If no one is going to add something to the topic, I may move it to rejected area.