Sign in to follow this  
kisuka

Customs Folder

I brought this topic up in the dev section but we want to get the community's input on this as well. Please see the suggestion below and let us know what your thought are on this.

This debate has been one that goes back to my days on eAthena's dev team, it was also brought up at rAthena, and now I'd like to bring it up here... I propose we remove the customs folder from the npc folder of the main repo. Now now, don't yell at me yet, I have an idea, allow me to explain.

We leave the conf files and keep an empty copy of the customs folder using a .gitkeep file. The customs npcs are then put in their own repo. This takes off the burden of keeping non-official NPCs supported / maintained in the main repo (which is meant to be an official-like RO experience out-of-the-box). Those that want the custom npcs folder in their repo can include it using git submodules.

Now here's where it gets interesting for you, the community. Because the customs folder would be its own repo, the community ultimately has the final say on what is added and removed from it. The community could contribute their own custom creations to the customs folder repo via pull requests, and then the community could vote on them via +1 comments on github. And because it's no longer in the main repo, we don't have to worry about how big the customs folder gets, nor worry about how we should go about picking what does or doesn't get included in it.

Basically the idea is to decouple the customs folder from the main repo, into its own repo, to be maintained and added to by the community.

Thoughts?

Not much of github user, so not sure how +1 comment thing works.

But yea, great idea though. Those custom NPCs are outdated anyways.

Majority of them are.

I think any custom NPCs that can no longer be maintained by its original author should be removed. Custom NPCs that can be maintained by its original authors should stay.

I agree with moving out npc/custom/ to another git repo

if a user wants to include that particular git repo to Hercules Repo. It's either unstage files or submodule one.