ParSalian

Someone know why rAthena is offline since 14 day

Oh, more tips:

* If you're going to give a status of your server to people, at least try to be serious about it, especially to a community so big. Just makes it look like you're not doing anything. =/

http://jemstuff.com/stuff/rAsrs.png

b-b-but my threads.

Oh, more tips:

If you're going to give a status of your server to people, at least try
to be serious about it, especially to a community so big. Just makes it
look like you're not doing anything. =/

http://jemstuff.com/stuff/rAsrs.png

rip in peace brian ;-;

Edited by SketchyPhoenix

who cares, the only negative is the lost forum information.

"Most members ever online in one day was 152, last accomplished on 16 May 2013."

Hercules is growing, and rAthena devs are more than welcome to join <3

Hercules is growing, and rAthena devs are more than welcome to join <3

yes they are :D I tried to make that clear about a month ago but I didn't have much luck, but of course the invitation is still up.

Oh, so that's what happened to rA xD I was already wondering why there haven't been any updates for weeks now xD

Until I saw the "Retry for live version" button at the top of the page ^^"

Hopefully, they're making progress!

And, I just noticed the H.C. position got changed to High Council haha. Didn't know what H.C. stood for before (High contributor? Lol XD), but now I know~

Looks like the rAID is destroyed. Lesson of the day: Have backups. All of the rAthena data is gone (because if I remember correctly, all their backups lived on the same box (maybe different VM)). 

Another lesson: Don't leave people who don't know how to run a server of any kind in charge of it.

So, I guess rAthena is gone for good and everything done in the last ~2Years in or with rAthena is lost now as well? ^^

Sounds just great.... Well, I guess everyone is coming to Hercules now xD

Looks like the rAID is destroyed. Lesson of the day: Have backups. All of the rAthena data is gone (because if I remember correctly, all their backups lived on the same box (maybe different VM)). 

Another lesson: Don't leave people who don't know how to run a server of any kind in charge of it.

that word "ALL OF RATHENA DATA is GONE", stunned me.

anyways

hello Hercules? hehe

Edited by xStrawhatLuffy

It sucks if the data is really lost, sadly that forum grew to have a crapload of good information *sob

Create an automatized program to create backups and upload/move them to other server (using ftp for example). Create a local program in your personal computer that connects to the ftp server periodically and downloads the backups.

Learned the first time I got a very big problem in my first and last server... easy to do and you will have 2 backups automatically without a lot of work.

I hope that rathena got all the info back. Is a very good source to get information from.

But what about Maki said having another backup in his server or something? Do you think it was on the same HDDs? Because if I'm not mistaken he said even with the data on the HDDs gone they would still have a backup.

All the files, support solutions, reports that got lost, oh dear "deer".

But what about Maki said having another backup in his server or something? Do you think it was on the same HDDs? Because if I'm not mistaken he said even with the data on the HDDs gone they would still have a backup.

The countless times I logged in and noticed that all the backups were being done on the local machine and NOT to an offserver backup storage despite me begging for something....I doubt there is another recent backup anywhere that is recoverable. And having the backups on a seperate VM on the same physical machine doesn't count (as is probably the situation here).

If they do have a recent backup and haven't cut their losses and applied it, then that's a pretty dumb move as well. Most people would not settle for downtime more than a few days, especially on a non-business site such as this. Most people in this situation would provision a new server, install the backups and announce that a week or two's work has been lost. Them not doing that just screams "no backups available for weeks". If there was financial data involved then the result might be different, but for no financial or client data, just a server with forums on it, having a week or two of lost data is no big deal. Of course, for shame, they moved the SVN off of Sourceforge and onto that server, despite mine as well as Ind's disagreement that something like this (a failed server) would kill the project.

The countless times I logged in and noticed that all the backups were being done on the local machine and NOT to an offserver backup storage despite me begging for something....I doubt there is another recent backup anywhere that is recoverable. And having the backups on a seperate VM on the same physical machine doesn't count (as is probably the situation here).

If they do have a recent backup and haven't cut their losses and applied it, then that's a pretty dumb move as well. Most people would not settle for downtime more than a few days, especially on a non-business site such as this. Most people in this situation would provision a new server, install the backups and announce that a week or two's work has been lost.

Them not doing that just screams "no backups available for weeks". If there was financial data involved then the result might be different, but for no financial or client data, just a server with forums on it, having a week or two of lost data is no big deal. Of course, for shame, they moved the SVN off of Sourceforge and onto that server, despite mine as well as Ind's disagreement that something like this (a failed server) would kill the project.

This.

When this whole thing started I suggested why not move to a temporary host or something? Well, they said it wouldn't take that long and it wouldn't be worth it. Maybe they should consider this.

I hope hercules have a good backup system. I know for sure people will start moving here because of what happened. It's really sad to know what's happening in rAthena, they really have a good source of info 

I think this whole story sums very well how rA management dealt with things in the last half+ year. I'm pretty sorry for the developers and the contributers :(

I hope that much of their work is preserverd in Hercules's rA merges. There were some pretty good fixes/new stuff rencently which I would miss pretty much  :mellow:

Edited by Antares