Zirius

Compiling "make sql" with only MariaDB dependencies

Question

I'm just wondering, if it is possible to completely compile Hercules without the old mysql, since MariaDB is wayyyy much faster, and Hercules is also fast, why not make Herc support MariaDB. I can run Herc via MariaDB when I am here at my windows platform, but on *nix, make sql requires the mysql stuff.

Sorry, I am not familiar with compiling, so have no idea if this topic is absurd. LOL.

THanks!

9 answers to this question

I'm just wondering, if it is possible to completely compile Hercules without the old mysql, since MariaDB is wayyyy much faster, and Hercules is also fast, why not make Herc support MariaDB. I can run Herc via MariaDB when I am here at my windows platform, but on *nix, make sql requires the mysql stuff.

Sorry, I am not familiar with compiling, so have no idea if this topic is absurd. LOL.

THanks!

Not used mariadb, but it seems like, mariadb supports mysql, so you can use it(I dont think it will error out)

THanks!

Not used mariadb, but it seems like, mariadb supports mysql, so you can use it(I dont think it will error out)

Yes man, I am using it with my Herc in my windows platform via XAMPP. And I can assure you it works wayyyyy tooo faster that mySQL.

My issue is, on my *nix server, I cannot compile herc because it would need mysql dev. So you would need to install mySQL. which actually consumes memory wayyyy toooo big than MariaDB uses.

So, if anyone knows any MariaDB package that can replace what Herc compiling needs, that would be great.

Thanks man!

I use MariaDB in windows, and Hercules compiled in Cygwin. And no problem to compile and use.
Behaves like MariaDB MySQL. It is a much improved fork.

Yes compilation with only mariadb is possible. For build with mariadb only need change configure a bit and install libmariadb* dev package.

I think i can create pull request for this,

but not sure is devs will add it or not.