parthenocarpy

Crash: Missing resource error for Crown of Deceit

Question

Hi. I would like to ask someone knowledgeable regarding this error of mine. I was tinkering around with the items in one of my char and added the Crown of Deceit via @item. It immediately crashed and shown this error:

post-8582-0-64036300-1423058490_thumb.png

Successive logins and checking the char's inventory to show the Crown of Deceit always display that error. I do not know the filename of the missing file due to it being gibberish in the error message.

But a quick google for the crown of deceit allowed me to check its sprite name and check my Data folder if it exists there. And, there is an image resource for the crown, 2 in fact. I attached them here using their original filenames in the Data folder (the bmp with korean filenames).

Can anyone tell me why the client cannot find the related image for the Crown of Deceit? Or if anyone can make sense of the error message, can you tell me the actual filename it uses so that I can just make a copy of the existing images and rename it to that

I'm using the 2014-10-22 ragexe.

I'm also using the translation files from here: https://github.com/ROClientSide/Translation. The image for the Crown of Deceit are actually from data folder from there.

Additionally, anyone know of a way for the error messages to show correct Korean characters? It would be easier to fix problems like these if we can easily see them

UPDATE: I found a fix. I thought that maybe the Data folder I pasted in my kRO folder might not be read by the 2014-10-22 ragexe even though it was patched to read the Data folder first. So I made that Data folder into a grf (I named it hercules.grf) and loaded it via DATA.INI. Of course, I patched my ragexe to do this using NEMO. To my surprise, it worked, and it even solved some minor issues i had (all buttons in my game are in Korean and only the buttons, but now it's fixed)

My question would then be why would the client not load the files in the Data folder properly? I'm sure it reads some of the files, like clientinfo.xml since I setup other PC in my LAN to connect to mine and that's where I config the server IP. Is there something wrong with my setup?

사기의모자.bmp

사기의왕관.bmp

Edited by parthenocarpy

3 answers to this question

Since you are sending your .bmp image files named in ANSI character format (showing the korean characters), I can guess you have your files named in that way when it needs to be named in unicode character format to read from data folder (it needs to be in ANSI format to be inside the grf files).

The files need to be named in this way to be used by the client when it is in data folder:

»ç±âÀǸðÀÚ.bmp

»ç±âÀÇ¿Õ°ü.bmp

You can use Tokeiburu's GRF Editor to convert it in a very easy way. You can also use others applications like Unbollox to make those convertions, but it is easier with GRF Editor.

Edit : Ragno beat me to it, but oh well, don't want to erase my post!

GRFs are "special" and they abstract the Korean versus Ansi problems you're having; that's why when you put everything in a GRF you don't get issues.

If you're working with the data folder, you must use the Ansi encoding (the gibberish text you see), otherwise the client won't see the files. For some reason, that github repository is using Korean characters but it's an error, it should be set to Ansi so that the client can read it.

The error the client shows you is accurate and it is what the file name should be named to.

Edited by Tokeiburu

I see. So it was an encoding issue.

Thanks to Ragno for suggesting tools for fixing this, I now have some useful options for solving this problem.

Thanks to Tokeiburu for enlightening us on why the GRF fix worked and how the client expects the filename encoding