Sign in to follow this  
Question

Rewrite the code in C++

Rewrite in C++ or in a language more current. I think that would be a big step for the emulator and for the community. A brAthena programmer was already doing it there, but took a break. Are two projects that I would like to see in C++.

Maybe in the beginning can be a parallel development and then be the main.

As stated in the section, it's a suggestion. :P

Do you think a full rewrite of Athena is productive?

Athena is a huge project and it would take a couple of month for what?

Performance? There won't be a difference in performance i think :

So it's more useless to do so. If you have the time, do it but i think there is a lot more stuff to do at athena :P

Everything Shikazu said.

Also, if there was going to be a rewrite I'd rather stay with C or suggest Go.

Maybe is possible start a branch with extern c {} to start changing the code slowly while we still can get updates.

I understand C++ more but I think it should stay with C because it'll be a huge work. I'm treating C as a learning experience now :meow:

I would stay with C too, instead of requesting recoding the emulator adapting to the programming language that almost all of us know, I would prefer adapting to its language which is C, learning it is better than asking someone to make it for you

Maybe is possible start a branch with extern c {} to start changing the code slowly while we still can get updates.

yes, and even though we know how to rewrite in C + +, for people who will only make your server is more practical.

Maybe one day I give the kick off...

This was attempted a long time ago before renewal existed when a small group in eAthena attempted to remake Athena from scratch and in full C++. They named it eApp. But it only got so far because the founding dev's left and other's attempting to continue the development couldn't because the code wasn't documented, making it difficult to understand what each piece of code did. That was only part of the problem. The other issue was the lack of dev's that knew C++. Most of the dev's knew C, but hardly anyone knew C++.  The project was shutdown due to those issues and thats the last I herd or seen of it.

To try this again could end up with the same result. Then again the result could be different with a proper team. But is their really a point?