Patskie

[Guide] How to setup hercules

Question

There is an existing server installation guide made by Diconfrost VaNz on this topic but this is outdated. So let me give ample time to share my experience on how to install Hercules SVN on your local machine.

1. To obtain hercules, refer to Ind's topic

2. Go to conf/char-server.conf and look for the code below : 

// Server Communication username and password.userid: s1passwd: p1

Set s1 and p1 to anything you want but take note of them as you will use them later on when you move to SQL portion of this installation.

In my case, i will use patskie since it is my screen name.

// Server Communication username and password.userid: patskiepasswd: patskie

3. Set your server name? Find this line also on your conf/char-server.conf. Change it to whatever you want : 

// Server name, use alternative character such as ASCII 160 for spaces.// NOTE: Do not use spaces or any of these characters which are not allowed in //       Windows filenames /:*?"<>|//       ... or else guild emblems won't work client-side!server_name: Hercules

4. Remove // on the following code : 

//login_ip: 127.0.0.1

//char_ip: 127.0.0.1

Note : 127.0.0.1 means localhost, local machine.

5. Save and exit

6. Now go to conf/map-server.conf

7. Same to what you have did in conf/char-server.conf :

//--------------------------------------------------------------//                     Configuration Info//--------------------------------------------------------------// Interserver communication passwords, set in account.txt (or equiv.)userid: patskiepasswd: patskie

8. Remove // on the following code :

//char_ip: 127.0.0.1

//map_ip: 127.0.0.1

9. Once you're done. Save and exit.

10. Now go to conf/inter-server.conf

11. Set the following code :

// Global SQL settings// overriden by local settings when the hostname is defined there// (currently only the login-server reads/obeys these settings)sql.db_hostname: 127.0.0.1sql.db_port: 3306sql.db_username: rootsql.db_password: ragnaroksql.db_database: herculessql.codepage:// MySQL Character SQL serverchar_server_ip: 127.0.0.1char_server_port: 3306char_server_id: rootchar_server_pw: ragnarokchar_server_db: hercules// MySQL Map SQL Servermap_server_ip: 127.0.0.1map_server_port: 3306map_server_id: rootmap_server_pw: ragnarokmap_server_db: hercules// MySQL Log SQL Databaselog_db_ip: 127.0.0.1log_db_port: 3306log_db_id: rootlog_db_pw: ragnaroklog_db_db: loglog_codepage:log_login_db: loginlog

Note : Use 127.0.0.1 as ip because you will run these server on your local machine. Use root as the database id because by default MySQL workbench uses root as username. And finally ragnarok as database password which is configurable by users. Set map, char an sql database to hercules and set log database to loginlog 

12. Once done, Save and exit

13. Now go to src/common/mmo.h and find the following code :

#ifndef PACKETVER	#define PACKETVER 20120418#endif

Change to : 

#ifndef PACKETVER	#define PACKETVER 20100730#endif

Note : You can change 20120418 (2012-04-18) to whatever client-date you want. In my case i will use 2010-07-30 client (20100730).

14. Save and exit.

15. Now let's go to mysql part.

16. Download MySQL workbench here. Why workbench? More convenient to use.

17. Once you are finished downloading and installing. Download WAMP server here because workbench will not start functioning if you do not have WAMP server

18. Once you are finished downloading and installing wampserver. Run it

19. Open mysql workbench

20. Add user and password into it. Follow this guide. Make sure you set username as root and password as ragnarok because this is the credentials located on your conf/inter-server.conf

21. Create a server instance and connection. Just click New Connection for creating connection and click New Server Instance for creating a new server instance everything there are self explanatory

22. More likely you must have the following : ( Check image below )

post-449-0-53815600-1370176262_thumb.png

23. At the left portion of the application. You can see schemas. Right click on one of them (test schema) and click on create schema

24. Set the name of the schema to hercules because that is the credential we put in our inter-server

25. Create also a schema log 

26. Double click hercules schema

27. Under file located at the bottom of the home button ( upper left to be exact ) click Open SQL Script and locate sql script on sql-files/main.sql, open it and execute ( you can find execute button at the upper portion of the text editor of mysql workbench it looks like a thunder xD )

28. Double click log schema

29. Under file located at the bottom of the home button ( upper left to be exact ) click Open SQL Script and locate sql script on sql-files/logs.sql, open it and execute ( you can find execute button at the upper portion of the text editor of mysql workbench it looks like a thunder xD )

30. Once everything is set double click again hercules schema

31. Execute the following code 

SELECT * FROM login;

32. Change userid, user_pass to the credentials you have put on both char-server and map-server.conf

33. Click apply.

34. Once done, go back to your server files and compile everything using Microsoft Visual Studio 2009 or 2010 or 2012 

Note : 

Microsoft Visual Studio 2009 = Hercules-9

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 = Hercules-10

Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 = Hercules-12

35. Open it via C++

36. In my case i am using MVS 2010, Highlight char-server, login-server, map-server, mapcache at the left portion of the application. Right click on it and click Build Selection

37. Check image for successful compilation, Once done exit the application

post-449-0-76531700-1370177311_thumb.png

38. Now you're done! Run run-server.bat on main folder

I hope this guide help other people who find it difficult to install hercules svn on your local machine. Actually this guide is not hard. I just divided the guide into small chunks so that people will understand more. If you think that any portion of installation is not included in my guide or maybe in some way not good or not correct then feel free to post it.

Additional Notes : 

- If you want other people to connect then you must port forward your router, or you can use other application like hamachi

- If any error occur feel free to post it here. Make sure you will post it in a detailed manner. Post screenshot if possible

- I include a diff client for 2010-07-30 since i use it in this guide

2010-07-30-DIFF.rar

Edited by Patskie

107 answers to this question

@classy5 : you dont need to modifi inter -server.conf anymore in the lastest herc server.

btw , my hex-client don't show anything but it still running in task manager , any fix ?

i used the guide to sql_connections.conf that supposed to be for inter-server.conf (still testing) :unsure:

Edited by classy5

EDIT:

skipped step 11 and done almost everything,

I am getting this though when I run the .bat file. Makes me think that I screwed up something in the files but I cant find where.

another edit: Hercules\conf\global\sql_connection.conf is screwing my stuff.

pMQVDV3.png

Edited by defsam

Also, having issues with step 11 Things are different now so I don't know how to do it

I'm getting this error

[SQL]: DB error - Table 'ragnarok.loginlog' doesn't exist
[Debug]: at ..\src\login\loginlog_sql.c:95 - INSERT INTO `loginlog`(`time`,`ip`,`user`,`rcode`,`log`) VALUES (NOW(), '0.0.0.0', 'login server', '100', 'login server started')

it points to the loginlog_sql.c, and tell me to edit the line, but I don't understand if I should do this or if there is a better way with a file in the conf/ also if I edit the c file I'm not really sure how it should look like.

Reading the forums people say to change this line on inter-server.conf

log_db_db: ragnarok

to 

log_db_db: log

But there is no such line on the inter-server.conf

I would really appreciate some help.

Hey @caspe Thanks!!

It's working after I extracted the log into the "ragnarok" database, is this because I did some setup wrong or it's now by default?they should be in the same database?

I tried setting up "log" into the sql_connection.conf  but couldn't make it work so I left it as "ragnarok"

db_hostname: "localhost"
	db_port: 3306
	db_username: "ragnarok"
	db_password: "Pass"
	db_database: "ragnarok"

Well, it's working just not sure if I missed something.

Ok thanks for making that clear

After some testing, I learned a better way to do this.
open Hercules\conf\import\inter-server.conf

and edit the following into it:

inter_configuration: {
	// See conf/common/inter-server.conf
	log: {
        sql_connection: {
            db_hostname: "127.0.0.1"
            db_port: 3306
            db_username: "ragnarok"
            db_password: "MyPassword"
            db_database: "log"
        }
    }
}

now, you can create a "log" database and keep things more organized.
better than having everything inside "ragnarok"!!

Edited by coldmaster
added information that might be useful

Hi I have MySQL Workbench 6.3.10 and because it's different I am stuck on 21.

I found a + button that creates a new connection but there isn't much that resembles a New Server Instance button

Do I press the Configure Server Management button? If so I get stuck with the Path to Configuration File location. The path in the image gives me an error: couldn't find section [mysqld] in the config file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

newConnection.png

serverConfigure.png